Sea transport to Ponza
- Ponza island can be reached by ferries departing from the ports of Formia, Terracina and Anzio
- The ferry companies that serve the island are:
- Formia (170km from Rome) is the recommended embarkation port because the ferry service is usually guaranteed also in case of bad sea condition. Formia is reached in about 90 minutes by train from the Rome Termini train station. A 15 minute walk brings you from the Formia train station to the embarkation point.
- Terracina (130 km from Rome) is also a safe embarkation option because service is usually provided even in bad sea conditions. However, there are fewer ferries per day to Ponza and slower trains from Roma Termini with respect to Formia.
- Anzio (60 km from Rome) is the fastest travel option since it is closer to Rome. From the Rome Termini train station, the train trip takes about 60 minutes, and from the Anzio train station to the embarkation point is a 15-minute walk. However, ferries may be suspended in case of bad sea conditions.
Local transport to embarkation ports
- Embarkation ports can be reached by train, e.g., from the Roma Termini train station or by car or by taxi.
- The train company is Trenitalia
- It is not recommended to bring a car to Ponza, because a car is not necessary on the island and because parking is difficult in Ponza. If a car is used to reach the embarkation port, it is best to leave it in some private/public parking before boarding the ferry. For instance,
Roma is served by two International Airports:
- Leonardo da Vinci International Airport, in Fiumicino (32km from Rome). It is Rome’s main airport. From the airport it is possible to reach Ponza using a Trenitalia train to Roma Termini station (50 minutes), and from there another train to the embarkation port. Otherwise, you can rent a car and go directly to the port of embarkation.
- Giovan Battista Pastine International Airport, in Ciampino (15km from Rome). It is the second largest airport in Rome. From the airport it is possible to reach Ponza by using a Trenitalia bus (Ciampino AIRLINK) to Roma Termini station (40min), and from there a Trenitalia train to the embarkation port. Otherwise, you can rent a car and go directly to the port of embarkation.